This recipe originally came from a client of my mother’s high school friend. It’s my favorite cheesecake recipe by far thanks to the crumb crust and the cool creamy sour cream layer on top. Add fresh strawberries & blueberries for a colorful and a patriotic Red, White & Blue Cheesecake, perfect to eat while reading one of my Red, Hot & Blue series romances.
1 package Graham Cracker Crust Mix
5 Tablespoons melted butter
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 lb cream cheese (or 2 – 8 ounce packages)
3/4 cup sugar
1 Pint sour cream
6 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Make crust by mixing 1 1/4 Cups Graham Cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar (according to package directions). Line a spring pan with crust.
- Separate eggs.
- Beat whites til stiff. Separately, beat yolks slightly. Set both aside.
- In separate bowl, mix cream cheese with 3/4 cup sugar. Fold egg whites and yolks into cream cheese mix gently.
- Pour into crust-lined pan. Bake 40 Minutes at 350 degrees. Center should be firm and top starting to lightly brown. (see pic below)
- Cool 5 minutes. (leave oven on)While the cake is cooling, mix the ingredients for the topping (see below).
- Mix sour cream with 6 tsp sugar and vanilla. Spoon evenly over baked cheesecake.
- Bake 10 minutes more.
Refrigerate for 12 hours before serving. Remove from spring pan. Optional serving suggestion: Top with fresh berries as garnish.